Are you sending text messages to your customers? Although 54% of consumers prefer to chat with brands via text message, only 11% of brands use texting to communicate.
Texting may sound too complex, or too costly. But with open rates at 98% (compared to 20% for email), text message marketing is a great way to get in touch with your customers with less hassle.
Learn why text messages are so critical for your business, as well as how you can start sending texts through FileMaker with the Twilio API.
Why should my business send text messages?
If you’re already successfully running your business with email, social media, and other channels, you might wonder why you need to add texting as yet another channel. You should definitely continue to communicate through your other channels, but you can’t ignore text messages, either!
The numbers don’t lie:
- Customers click on text messages 9% more than any other channel.
- The response rate for text messages is 45%.
- 60% of customers read a text within 1 - 5 minutes of receiving the message.
When you need customers to read, click, or reply to your messages, texting is the best way to make it happen.
Text messaging is useful for many use cases, including:
- Appointment reminders
- Shipping confirmations
- Arrival or delivery alerts
- Mass texting customers
- Customer service or support
- Marketing weekly or holiday promotions
Whether you’re B2B or B2C, text messaging instead of emailing helps you avoid the crowded conditions in your customers’ email inboxes. If you haven’t looked into them yet, solutions like FileMaker and Twilio make it a cinch to get in touch with your audience.
How to send a text from FileMaker
Best of all, you don’t have to pick up your smartphone and text every customer individually, either. With the messaging platform Twilio and the right FileMaker setup, you can send texts en masse without breaking a sweat.
To send a text, normally you would need:
- A business phone number
- The customer’s phone number
- Their carrier information
What you may not realize is that it takes a lot of complicated back-and-forth to send a single text message. Instead of trying to manage the complexities of this on your own, you can integrate FileMaker with Twilio to seamlessly send messages to your customers.
Twilio is a customer engagement platform. You can use it for everything from email to voice, to video, but Twilio is especially exceptional at sending text messages.. In fact, its APIs power more than 100 billion messages every year. With Twilio connecting to your FileMaker data, you can automate text message marketing to give customers exactly what they want without overwhelming your team with manual processes.
Connecting FileMaker and Twilio
The problem is, it can be challenging to connect FileMaker to Twilio. That’s why we created the Productive Computing University course, Connect FileMaker to Twilio.
Access this trusted course to teach you the ins and outs of using FileMaker with Twilio, including:
- How to set up a new Twilio account
- How to configure both a trial and a paid account for text setup
- How to "validate" an existing phone number prior to sending
- Learn about the ins and outs of texting (SMS & MMS)
- How to send text messages from FileMaker
- Parse results from sent texts into a log in FileMaker
- How to include images and media with your texts
- Understand message character length, segmentation, and pricing
- Overview of how webhooks work and why you would might need one
Additional Blogs, Training, and Resources
If you are interested in additional FileMaker videos, training courses, or product news, please:
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel for FileMaker tips and tricks.
- Subscribe to our newsletter for industry and product updates.
- Check out Productive Computing University for in-depth training courses covering advanced FileMaker technologies.
- Read through our case studies to see how FileMaker helps various businesses and industries to run more smoothly.
- Have a look through our blog posts see these other FileMaker API posts.