Author Topic: Retrieving Data from Quickbooks  (Read 194 times)

BillE

Retrieving Data from Quickbooks
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
I'm new to the plugin and somewhat new to QB.
I have a chart of accounts with a dozen or so -- including a couple of "cash" accounts.
I can retrieve a list of names from the customer center and a list of accounts and balances from the
chart of accounts.

I would like to retrieve specific fields from one of the accounts ( checking account ), and am struggling with the process:
- which "query message" do I use ( Account, transaction, etc )?
- how do I specify or choose which account from the chart of accounts?
- the account in QB displays fields labeled [ Date, Number, Payee, Account, Payment, √, Deposit and Balance ];
  how do I indicate this within the plugin function parameters, in the FM script?  I don't see any correspondence with these
  column labels displayed in QB and the Tags in the Message types.

Thanks for any input.

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Retrieving Data from Quickbooks
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
Your questions suggest you may be looking for more than a snapshot of an Account, which does not have Date, Payment, or Deposit elements.

If all you want is the Balance or TotalBalance ( the latter's value may differ from the former's when an Account is the parent of sub-Accounts where Balance <> 0 ), then an AccountQuery Request is what you want. The Account's FullName or ListID are the two ways you'd identify the targeted Account.

It sounds likes you may be looking for values that would appear in a Report--TxnDetailByAccount, for example. Creating a well targeted ReportQuery and parsing the Response may be the two most complex tasks you can undertake with the plug-in, and also the two most powerful.

These are generally too complex for a forum post, unless you've already made significant progress and are stuck on a particular detail. Basic documentation for AccountQuery, GeneralDetailReportQuery, and GeneralSummaryReportQuery Requests are found here...

https://developer-static.intuit.com/qbSDK-current/Common/newOSR/index.html

...and it's worth noting that good insight can be gleaned from looking at the XMLOps tab as well as the Request and Response Tabs. The latter two tabs have more info available by clicking any blue-highlighted element name, but it's not anywhere near clear and unambiguous at first glance.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852