Author Topic: Invoice to be partially billed to insurance  (Read 802 times)

Daniel

Invoice to be partially billed to insurance
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
On my invoices the customer may only be responsible for a portion of the total if s/he has insurance.  It seems to me to be similar to a discount on the header level (as opposed to a discount on the line level).  How should I push this to QuickBooks?

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Invoice to be partially billed to insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 05:25:38 AM »
I suspect the answer has as much to do with the business rules governing transactions as it does with what's available within QB's API. Can you determine the Customer's eligibility for the discount before it's passed to QB? Or is eligibility conditional on things you can't know at the time the Invoice is created? Do all Customers that are entitled to a discount receive the same discount, or does it vary by Customer and/or what Items the Invoice includes?

I believe the only "header level" discount would come from passing an Invoice a Terms node that identifies a Term that includes a discount, or by omitting that node when a Term-with-discount is assigned to the Invoice's Customer.

It may be that you want to define PriceLevels for your Items, and apply PriceLevelRef to each InvoiceLine subject to a discount.

You could define an ItemDiscount that uses DiscountRate to reduce the overall value of an Invoice that meets the Discount criteria (handling that logic in FMP).

Finally, you could apply any discount to a full-value Invoice in the ReceivePayment transaction. I generally favor this because your balance sheet retains the full AR value of the Invoice until you're certain the Customer has met all the terms to receive the discount.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852