Author Topic: Open Dialogue in QB  (Read 1072 times)

trebor

Open Dialogue in QB
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
Is there any way to query QB through FMconnetor to see if a dialogue box is open.

I have run into this a couple times with a client that keeps the print dialog box open then decides to add an invoice.

Needless to say it does not work.  Ends up frustrating the user.

Would it be as simple as double checking the connection.  If no connection exit out/display an error? 

Curious before I add it in. 

Thanks
Rob

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Open Dialogue in QB
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
If FMP tries to modify a record that's being edited by a QB user, the process will return an error that has nothing to do with the connection. It will also return an error when dialog boxes related to updates and other external connections are open. I was unaware that an open print dialog also prevented write operations from an external source, but am not really surprised.

I'm not sure what you mean by "double checking the connection" in this context. Most of my integration projects open a connection the first time there's any interaction between FMP and QB, and then leave it open until the user quits FMP or explicitly closes the connection. The connection is, as far as I know, unaffected by print dialogs, edit windows, or Intuit Update Available messages. My experience led me to conclude that it's not the connection, but rather the state of the target record or the QB Company file that is disallowing the write operation.

Could one of those situations prevent FMP from connecting to QB? You'd have to try it and see. Are you logging errors for this client? I'm curious to know what error number is returned.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852