Author Topic: No Connection Established Issue  (Read 2925 times)

kjoe

No Connection Established Issue
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
Hello All,

I am using FMBooks Connector v7. 

I developed some layouts in FileMaker that utilize the plug-in and everything works great. Where I am running into issues is when other users are trying to use these features.

Every user has the new FMBooks Connector installed and successfully registered, but whenever they are logged into QuickBooks already, it says a connection cannot be established. HOWEVER, if the user is NOT logged into QuickBooks at all, the plug-in works without a hitch.

This one is really baffling me, as it seems to be a login issue and not anything to do with the plug-in per se.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: No Connection Established Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Are you passing any parameter in the PCQB_BeginSession function? Is the QB Company file in Single or Multi-user mode?

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

kjoe

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:21 AM »
No parameters are being passed with the BeginSession function, and the QB Company file is operating in Multi-Use Mode.

What is even more odd, is that I can login to a troubled users QB account on the computer I did the developing on, and I have no issues if QB is open.

The problem only arises when a troubled user is logged into QB on their computer, and trying to use the plug-in. If they are not logged into QB, I have it set so that the plug-in can log-in as admin, perform the duties, etc. and that works perfectly fine.

I experimented with turning this feature off to no avail.

It could always be that the there is a connection issue with the network itself and have nothing to do with the plug-in, I just figured I would ask on here to see if anyone had a similar issue or not.

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:11:21 PM »
Do you use different credentials in FMP or QB than the troubled users? It sounds like the issue may be tied to a difference in privileges, since everything works when the plug-in logs itself into QB as Admin.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

kjoe

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
That is what I originally thought as well. But of course the computer God's are against me and decided it can't be that easy.

I don't think this is an issue because I can login to QB using a trouble users credentials, and use the plug-in fine on my computer. Its only once the plug-in is being used on another computer, the plug-in will not work.

I am doing some more digging, to see if perhaps there is a file path issue somewhere, or something else that is preventing the plug-in from recognizing the trouble user as logged in already.

Thanks for the help so far though, appreciate the timely responses.

kjoe

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
And I am not sure if this could be related, but the plug-in seems to take an unusually long time processing requests on the trouble users computers.

Whenever I was testing the plug-in, the first 2 pushes or so would be slower, but then after that I noticed it was pretty snappy.

Is there perhaps any special settings I should have considered when adopting this solution onto many computers?

And I understand that they should not be sending requests at the same time, which they are not.

kjoe

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
Browsing the documentation looking for something I missed, I happened upon this little chart.

It got me wondering, how can you select the mode if the FMBooks Connector is starting QuickBooks? (as in, how can I choose between option 1 and option 2)

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
I have several sites where the first AddRequest processes slowly (like upwards of 20 second, maybe more) and then processes all subsequent AddRequests in under 2 seconds. It's something everyone affected learns to expect and live with, and I've never dug deeper to find out why.

Back to the question of privileges: Do the trouble users have write access to all relevant fields in FMP? Sometimes developers set a field to the result of the PCQB functions, and that would fail for users without write access to the targeted field.

Simultaneous access to the database should be possible as long as it's in Multi-user mode. As there any chance that the user is not opening the live QB Company file? I've seen cases where a user selected an older or alternate version of a QB file and caused problems because the older file was not setup to allow external access. I've also seen cases where the user selects a file that's locked or in a read only directory.

I hope you'll post back your findings, including any additional "this didn't fix it" descriptions.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
Missed your latest question: pass the full path to the QB Company file as the CompanyFile parameter and "Single" or "Multi" as the ShareMode parameter.

I have made it a rule for all integration projects that the user will manually open the QB Company file before any Request is made. As a consequence, I leave all parameters empty...PCQB_BeginSession( "" ; "" ; "" )...and have never had an issue establishing a session that traces to anything other than basic setup (right versions of plug-in, right Company file, etc.)

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

kjoe

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
Thanks for the help Geoffrey. Haven't solved it yet but I will keep at it.

Ill post the results of everything I find. 

kjoe

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:42:46 AM »
Well I have finally fixed this problem I have been having, and boy do I feel stupid on the solution.

Or rather, Geoffrey's original solution.

For some reason, when I was reading your question of "Are you passing any parameter in the PCQB_BeginSession function?", I was saying no because I did not think that file path was a parameter per se. It just seemed necessary to me.

But anyway, having read your example of how you implement begin sessions (completely blank, not even a file path), it for some reason dawned on me that I did have a parameter. So I tried just passing a blank PCQB_BeginSession("";"";"") and VIOLA, it worked.

I had only just revisited this issue yesterday, as the work around wasn't a big issue with the client. However, it was brought back up so I figured I would finally get to the bottom of it. And of course, Geoffrey already had, I was just to dense to see it  ;D.

Anyway, maybe this can help someone, maybe no one will ever make this mistake, in any regard, THANKS GEOFFREY!