Author Topic: BillPaymentCheckAdd, two issues/Questions  (Read 3610 times)

trebor

BillPaymentCheckAdd, two issues/Questions
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
I have a BillPaymentCheckAdd putting data into QB. 

However there are two things not working as I would hope:

1) If I insert multiple payments from a single vendor, they all appear on separate checks. How can I put all the Payments onto one check?  Use the same TxnID for the related records? I realize the TxnID is for the existing bill in the system that I am moving to a Check. So using the smae TxnID is not the right answer.

2) A discount is applied to almost every bill and can be seen when I print a Bill Payment Stub (File->Forms..->Bill Payment Stub) but the Check amount is not lowered.  When I go to print the check it displays the amount without the discount, the raw payment amount.
- I apply the discount after the line item for the payment in the script as per OSR.

Kind of odd to me that I can see a discount, and on the Bill Payment Stub the "Payment" column takes out the discount, but right above in a box (This is on the Bill Payment Stub) it displays the check amount without the discount.  This is also true when I go to print the check the raw amount is printed not he discounted amount.

Any help is appreciated..... Thanks

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:35:56 AM by trebor »

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: BillPaymentCheckAdd, two issues/Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
You'll need the TxnID of each Bill you want to pay in the BillPaymentCheckAdd Request. You'll pass those values as the TxnID value in the AppliedToTxnAdd nodes. Each of those nodes is also where you'll set the discount you're taking on that node's Bill.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

trebor

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:45:22 AM »
I was always using the TxnID for moving specific bills to checks so that was not it. 

I did figure out how to put multiple payments on one check!!! 

NOTE:: For all those out there, be careful, remember to close related records with the same request as opening them.  What I mean by that is I was using the wrong close related record code. Bone head move on my part.  I opened a request to create a related record with the PCQB_RqAddRelatedRecord("AppliedToTxnAdd") but was closing it with a RsCloseRelatedRecord.  I needed to close with the RqCloseRelatedRecord.  It was the Rs -  versus the Rq that messed me up.  It was why i was unable to put multiple records on one check. (Note:: I attached a sample script and have commented out where I was closing the record incorrectly with the "Rs")

NOW the only major issue is attached (see attached Bill_Stub.pdf).  Why does it discount the bill but not the check amount?  In the far right column it says Payment, but on top the "Check Amount" does not reflect any discounted Payments.  Can anyone explain why or better yet, let me know how to get the discounted "Payment" amount as the check amount (added up that is).

Thanks
Rob

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »
The Check Amount is correct (the net payment amount) when I view a payment with discounted Bills as a Bill Payment Stub in Enterprise 14.

Which version of QB are you using?

Which Account is specified in DiscountAccountRef?

Does it show the wrong Amount in the Select Bill Payment Stubs to Print dialog box?

Does the same problem happen when you Pay Bills in the QB UI?

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

trebor

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
I consider the check amount to be incorrect.  I am in Enterprise 2013/4(? not in front of it right now)

The check amount should be the total of the column "Payment" which is $997.75.  It is in a column titled "Payment" so that in my understanding should be what is "Paid" to the vendor, ie a check.

The column titled "Original Amt" is what the check amount ads up to.  Original amount is not what should be paid to the vendor or appear on  a check.  It is the "Original amount" before any adjustments, credits or discounts are applied.

When a check is cut to a Vendor it should reflect all adjustments, credits and discounts.

I specify the same account in the script, where all the discounts are applied when doing this manually.  For example, Pay bills, check off a bill to pay, apply a discount and account.  I used the same discount account (see script:: 4490 - Discounts Earned).  The discount account is taken into account in the "Payment" column based on lowering  the amount. 

And YES at the dialog box where you select the Bill Payment Stub to preview, it shows the total of the "Original amount" not the total of the "Payment Amount" ( which takes into account the discounts etc.).

I need to check some things you bring up, like if I pay it manually does it do the same thing on the Bill Payment Stub.  Will do that shortly.

So close.

Thanks
Rob

Addendum: I spoke to the person who does this on a  daily basis and the Payment amount does add up to the check amount when done manually.  I will double check that and make sure I am using the exact proper text for the discount account.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:55:06 AM by trebor »

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 06:26:09 AM »
Please post your findings. I'd never heard of a Bill Payment Stub before you mentioned it, but if there's a difference--even cosmetic--between Bill Payments created in the UI and those created via the API, it's worth investigating and reporting to Intuit.

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

trebor

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 07:19:10 AM »
So far it is still putting in the discount, it changes the "Payment" column on the Bill Payment Stub, but the check amount is being taken from the original amount, not reflecting any discount.  If I do this manually through the Pay Bills screen it all acts as one would expect.  It puts the discount in the discount column, it is reflected in the Payment column AND the check amount is lowered by the discount amount. 

Kind of a pickle.

However a new wrinkle was thrown at me for this project.  The person working on this wants to have access to the Pay Bills screen to enter credits as well.  I see that there is a method of adding in credits using BillPaymentCheckAdd, and offered to add them that way. The "Pay Bills" screen is bypassed by using BillPaymentCheckAdd, but they want access to it. Kind of negates doing the BillPaymentCheckAdd.

I thought I would add the discount in as a negative expense, it goes into the right account (4490 - Discounts earned) but it does not display in the Discount column on the Bill Payment Stub. It does lower the amount of the bill that way, and check amount. But I need to display the discount on the Bill Payment Stub.

Sort of stuck....trying to figure out why it does not change the check amount when a discount is applied through the BillPaymentCheckAdd.  It strikes me as I am missing something very basic.  Script attached. 

I tried to alter the "PaymentAmount" in the script.  I used a discounted amount and the raw amount (before discounts), did not matter behaved the same.  It takes into account the discount in the Payment column on the Bill Payment Stub but still does not lower the check amount to be paid.  Now I have never printed a check, assuming that it will print the wrong amount.

Just to clarify, I am using Enterprise Accountant 2014.

Rob

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:22:40 AM by trebor »

trebor

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
Ok the plot thickens.....

I decided to test this on a NON-Enterprise version of QB I have, and the check amount added up as I would expect it to with the the discount (see attached).  It was as if I did this through the UI, "Pay Bills".

Odd to me.  It may be a bug, but I cannot say that 100%.  i am going to continue testing.

Rob

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »
I'm curious to know what differences might show up if you create a Query Request for a BillPaymentCheck added via the UI and one added via the API. It may be useful to execute one query followed by the PCQB_SGetXML( "Response" ; "" ) to get all the details, then repeat for the other creation method.

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:42:41 AM by Geoffrey Gerhard »

trebor

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:21:31 AM »
I will grab the details and post them back here.  Probably very late in the day.

trebor

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »
So as I go to run the script and pull the xml, I noticed that it is NOT putting the discounts against the Check Balance on all bills.  I did two today and one successfully put the discount against the balance and one did not.  I have the XML for both.

Arg, gotta figure this out.  If not for my own feeling of triumph, it will really help out the data entry people.

XML out put now attached below.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:18:46 AM by trebor »

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:52:05 AM »
I think I see the problem:

In the xml Responses you shared, the BillPaymentCheck/Amount is the sum of AppliedToTxn/Amount + AppliedToTxn/DiscountAmount.

The BillPaymentCheck/Amount value is normally the sum of AppliedToTxn/Amount values.

In the xml examples, there's only one Bill paid by each BillPaymentCheck. The BillPaymentCheck/Amount and the AppliedToTxn/Amount values should be identical, unless you want to leave the value of the AppliedToTxn/DiscountAmount "on account" with the Vendor.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

trebor

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
Hum, I will give it try.

It now is working as I would expect.  All the bill pay stubs add up to the discounted amount and so does the check amount.

Now onto applying the credits.

And they rejoiced!!!!! Thank you Geoffrey for your help.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:19:09 PM by trebor »

trebor

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
Had an issue which I posted,  but after a TON of further research, it was the end user who deleted some transactions in QB which caused all sorts of problems. 

In a back up copy I had from three days ago and the problem was not presenting itself.  It was no where to be seen (A credit that added up to all credits taken through BillPaymentCheckAdd).

Never just delete transactions.  Words to live by........

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:13:09 PM by trebor »