Author Topic: ItemSalesTaxRef:FullName not seeing any codes  (Read 1928 times)

johnlewisdesign

ItemSalesTaxRef:FullName not seeing any codes
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:11:07 AM »
Hi I'm working for a client in QuickBooks 2014 Pro UK version and the ItemSalesTaxRef doesn't see anything. Now in the UK version there is no Item Sales Tax, it is VAT, so I'm wondering if this is the root cause.

I have a VAT code of EGS with a description of EC Goods Standard (20.0%).

It is taxable, active, mapped to a VAT Group item for Purchases and also is mapped correctly for Sales.

if I send "EGS", "EC Goods Standard (20.0%)" or otherwise, it returns:

Seems to me the VAT codes are not linked to Item Sales Tax codes in any way, so what am I to do? There is no way of entering Sales Tax Codes in QuickBooks UK - only VAT.

What I'm sending during this test, as they are migrating to QB from Sage, is

PCQB_RqAddFieldWithValue( "ItemSalesTaxRef::FullName"; If (Invoice::Tax_Code = "T1"; "EGS"; "EGZ"))

Basically if it's taxable send EGS else send EGZ.

What gives? Starting to think the UK version is borked...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:27:38 AM by johnlewisdesign »

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: ItemSalesTaxRef:FullName not seeing any codes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:04:29 AM »
Dealing with Tax in QB can be tricky, and more so in the UK and Australian versions.

Does an ItemSalesTaxQuery Request with "EGS as the value of the FullName element produce a valid Response? If so, capture the ListID value and see what happens if you pass the ItemSalesTaxRef::ListID element in your InvoiceAdd Request.

Are you also passing EGS as an InvoiceLine? I believe QB does not allow the same ItemSalesTax value to be used as a LineItem element and an ItemSalesTaxRef element.

Going farther afield: There's also a note in the OSR that an Invoice allows only single tax ItemSalesTax LineItems--group tax Items can only be applied at the Invoice's ItemSalesTax level.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »
Geoffrey, you are the oracle! I was thinking about that ListID idea myself but I have been using QODBC to grab ListIDs easier up til now - which has expired*

I would pass the tax at Invoice level but IN the line rather than AS one. It works flawlessly on US versions, which is what's been throwing me. I'm definitely inclined to think it's the tax setup now - or like you say a problem with using FullName.

*Out of interest, how would you approach this personally? I know you write QBXML - but do you do it through the SDKs Debugger or inject using FM Books Connector and the FileMaker Data Viewer? Not after a hand hold with writing the script as that's not how you learn - I just want to get on the same page as you, is all. Thanks :)

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
I use the FMBooks Connector plug-in's PCQB_ZExecute () function to pass the QBXML for each Request. I use the Data Viewer when testing and/or debugging. I set a variable, $qbXMLBuilder, to each of the elements required for the particular request, and keep it in the Data Viewer's Watch list for quick Reference.

I prefer ListID over FullName because it's more robust. FullName breaks when the user changes any element that is included in QB's FullName calc, while the ListID is permanent for the life of the thing it identifies.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
Thanks Geoffrey I will exhaust all options and post back. Yeah I gathered that would be how it was done but didn't know if you had a super quick console-type way to attack it for small queries like this. I will get building!

Thanks,

John