Author Topic: Accessing A Data Field Not Listed in the Request Grammar  (Read 1236 times)

JonathanIsland

Accessing A Data Field Not Listed in the Request Grammar
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
I have a client who wants to transfer a Sales Order Number (S.O. No.) when creating an Invoice in QuickBooks. Since that field is not listed in the grammar for InvoiceAdd, is there any option that would allow me to address this field?

I have tried using the DataExtMod method mentioned in previous posts, but that appears to be only for custom fields.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked & answered.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jerel Malong

• Global Moderator
Re: Accessing A Data Field Not Listed in the Request Grammar
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
Depending on how your client uses the SO# in QuickBooks, you can use the RefNumber for the SO# from FileMaker. You may want to consider using the Other, Other1, or Other2 fields - but as you've stated those are custom fields.

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
That's not quite right--Other is native to the Invoice Table in QB, while Other1 & Other2 are native to the LineItem Table in QB.

DataExtMod (which is functionally the same as DataExtAdd when called by itself) requires that the Custom Field is already defined and assigned access in the appropriate place. If you want it to appear at the Invoice Record level, create the Custom field from the Edit Customer dialog box. For a Custom Field that's available on LineItems, assign it from the Edit Item dialog box.

Note that you do not have to call the DataExtAdd/Mod separately when assigning values to a LineItem's Custom fields as part of an InvoiceAdd Request.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

JonathanIsland

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »
Thanks once again Geoffrey for your clarification & help. I will present your suggestion to the client to see if they are on board with using a Custom Field instead of the Sales Order field.

-Jonathan