Author Topic: Server Busy errors on PCBC  (Read 2329 times)

mikekurm@wienerminder.com

Server Busy errors on PCBC
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:15:50 AM »
We installed the latest 6.0.2.1 a few weeks ago onto FMP13A and regular and QB14Ent on a FMP13Server. Our normal PCBC scripts (pulling expenses and income each night from QB in FMP) are crashing with a Server Busy error...The action cannot be completed because the "QB Company File" is not responding. Has anyone else had this problem...it was supposed to be resolve with the latest version. Interesting, watching the script run (putting in many stops and pauses) it seems it get to a few hundred records on a XML parse and the message hits, so it could be a caching issue??? Runs fine it seem up to then...

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Server Busy errors on PCBC
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
You're out on the leading edge of both platforms and I suspect the set of people who are doing something similar is small.

Where is the error message coming from? Server Busy would seem to indicate it's a FileMaker or FileMaker Server issue. Have you tried adding a Flush Cache to Disk step to your script?

You said the process loops through a few hundred records before it crashes--are those records processed correctly? Do they survive the crash?

Which OS are you using? Have you run all the ancillary installers?

Hope you'll post here if you isolate and/or resolve the problem.

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

FileMakerMary

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »
Did you ever resolve this issue?

I've been experiencing the same problem on machines running both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. I'll quit everything related to QuickBooks in the task manager and will still receive the server busy dialog. Sometimes when I select "Switch To" and then "Retry" it will continue running, other times it will crash my computer.

Has anyone fixed this issue yet?

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
The source of the error is unclear, but seems to be coming from the Windows OS. I looked into this problem and found some success by reducing the amount of data QB needed to aggregate and return. You can apply filters to your queries to reduce the number of records returned by QB, you can use IncludeRetElement to limit the number of elements returned, or you can pass optional attributes in your Query header that limit the number of records returned.

I thought we had nailed it down, but the original poster found one case where the Server Busy message still came forward even though we had reduced the set of records returned. If I can identify any "rules of thumb" regarding the maximum Response record/element count I'll update this thread. I found that manually switching to the QB application, then back to FMP and clicking the "Retry" button seemed to be more useful than clicking "Retry" by itself or clicking the "Switch to" button, then returning and clicking Retry.

The problem seems to appear only in Win 7 and Win Server 2008, and may only impact those using FMP 13 and QB Enterprise 14. I support FMP/QB integrations for a lot of clients, but have only heard of this (and replicated it on my virtual machines) for this particular combination of FMP/QB versions on these two OS's. If I hear from clients running into this on alternate combinations I'll update this thread.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

FileMakerMary

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
Thanks for your response, Geoffrey. The next time I receive the error I'll try to open QuickBooks manually. The strange thing about this is that the error occurs when I'm attempting to connect to the file. I'm syncing to three different QuickBooks files during my sync and it's rare that I'm able to successfully connect to all 3 during a sync. I was under the assumption that QuickBooks should be closed when running the sync, is that incorrect?

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »
For synching with a single company, it isn't necessary to start with a closed QB file. It is necessary in your scenario because your process needs to interact with more than one QB Company file and there's no practical way to close a QB Company file that has the UI open.

Have you tried inserting a timed pause step between the PCQB_EndSession step and the PCQB_BeginSession () step that opens the next QB Company file in your synch process? What version of QB are you using?

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

FileMakerMary

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:38:48 AM »
We are using QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition 14.0. I did insert a pause script step between beginning and ending a session but it didn't stop the server busy pop-up.

If the QuickBooks file is open by another user on another computer would that prevent the sync from connecting to the file?

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
You ask if a connection from another user to the QB Company file would "prevent the sync from connecting to the file?" Do you mean "Would it stop the plug-in from opening a connection as part of its BeginSession function?" I don't think it would, unless that other user switched the QB Company file into Single User mode before the FileMaker user initiated the synch script.

After you dismissed the Server Busy pop-up, does your solution complete the connection process? I see in your earlier post that you would sometimes "force quit" the QB program. I wonder if that's necessary, or if you gave the system a minute or two, it would complete the task and then continue your synchronization tasks.

As mentioned earlier, this seems to be a problem that arises from the OS when QB does not finish its work within whatever interval Windows uses to determine whether or not a process has stalled out.

HHT!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852