Productive Computing, Inc. Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find for unpaid invoices works on local, fails on server  (Read 3484 times)

Gnurps

Find for unpaid invoices works on local, fails on server
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »

We are having trouble with Invoice Payments, probably on only some records. On the hosted file, using the Script_Use_Invoices layout, I can find a particular customer's invoice by _kft__Contact_ID. The zz_Balance_Due_cn field clearly displays a number; the invoice is partially paid. But when I search for the same _kft__Contact_ID and add a second criteria of zz_Balance_Due >0, no records are found. If I find only for zz_Balance_Due > 0, it finds some records, but the particular customer's invoice is not among them.

If I perform these same finds on a local copy, it works. The customer's invoice is found.

This problem does not occur with all invoices, only some. That is, for some records, hosted, a find for a particular _kft__Contact_ID and zz_Balance_Due > 0 works for some,but not others.

Filemaker knowledge base warns that some unstored calcs will execute differently for hosted file vs. local, but Core 4's Invoices::zz_Balance_Due_cn field does not fall within any of the situations where that would happen.

I have tried closing and re-opening the file and that did not change anything. What now?

Jerel Malong

• Global Moderator
Re: Find for unpaid invoices works on local, fails on server
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »

What version of FileMaker and FileMaker Server are you running? Are they the same or different? Are they updated?

Gnurps

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:35:54 AM »

Filemaker Pro 12 and 13 clients; FMS 12.03

Jerel Malong

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:42 AM »

I've just tested a find for a specific contact ID and a zz__Balance_Due__cn > 0 on a hosted file and it worked. For your scenario, what is the difference between the invoices that do work and those that do not?

If you would like, you may want to consider a Paid Tech Support to help resolve the issue. You can contact us directly at (760)510-1200 or email support@productivecomputing.com.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:08:19 PM by Paul Dacanay »

Gnurps

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »

I've just tested a find for a specific contact ID and a zz__Balance_Due__cn > 0 on a hosted file and it worked. For your scenario, what is the difference between the invoices that do work and those that do not?

I have reviewed the problem in more detail. The find for zz__Balance_Due__cn > 0 evaluates differently depending on whether the file is hosted on Server vs. opened locally. On Server, this find does not find the invoices in question. When hosted by Pro, it does the find correctly.

Why is this happening? Filemaker has an article, KB6996, that notes differences in unstored calc evaluation, Server vs. Pro. But the conditions that cause this -- such as reliance on some get() functions -- do not apply to this field. The field is an unstored calculation that depends on the unstored field zz__Payment_Applied__cn, which calculates Sum ( invo_PMTLI::Amount ).

The problem made me worry that the file may be corrupt. I downloaded a copy and did a recover. The recovery process ALWAYS says that Core 4 is corrupt if you don't have all the plugins it is programmed for. So I also did a recover of the original Core4 file that I received from Productive and carefully evaluated what the two reports say. They do not have any significant differences, so I don't think my file is corrupt.

Not sure what to do next.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:08:04 PM by Paul Dacanay »

Paul Dacanay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »

My tests for finding Invoices on a hosted Core4 copy (Balance Due > 0 and _kft__Contact_ID) also works as expected.

Are you doing a "manual" or scripted find?

Gnurps

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »

Both manual and scripted. The script is the Add Payment script, run from the button on Invoices. The manual is to go into the Script Use_ Invoices layout (where I have added the fields) and do a find for balance due >0. That is one of the criteria the Add Payment script uses to find invoices for a contact that need to be paid. If I find just for the Contact's invoices, the invoice is found. If I find for just Balance Due >0, it is not among the found set of records. If I do both criteria, no records are found. Yet the record is clearly there, clearly with a Balance Due > 0.

Again, what could cause such a behavior, different on server vs. pro?

Gnurps

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

The users report that "it always seems to be the subsequent payments after the first one that cannot be applied." So they make an invoice, and apply the deposit payment. There is a balance due after that. When they go to make the second payment, no invoices qualify for payment because Filemaker is not finding Balance Due >0.

Paul Dacanay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »

The users report that "it always seems to be the subsequent payments after the first one that cannot be applied." So they make an invoice, and apply the deposit payment. There is a balance due after that. When they go to make the second payment, no invoices qualify for payment because Filemaker is not finding Balance Due >0.

Your scripting issue seems to be out of the scope of assistance we can provide. It may be more beneficial to have a remote session under our paid support services with a developer so we can better assist you and answer all your script and development questions (Often they can point you in the right direction very quickly so it is a much better use of your time than you spinning your wheels for hours). Our rate is $185 per hour and we bill by the minute with no minimums so we are charging you only for the time you use.

At your earliest convenience please contact us at (760) 510-1200 so that we can have a remote meeting to better assist you; or we can schedule a time in the future for the meeting. Our tech support is available anytime Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm PST.

Pages: [1]   Go Up