Author Topic: Importing of custom fields  (Read 7088 times)

sfkev

Importing of custom fields
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
I purchased the Core2 CRM module (which I am highly impressed with) and am adding a few new fields to the Contact table for my end user. I would like to add these new fields to the customized "Batch Contact Import" processing that is available for this product.

I spent a couple of days, looking at the script code, layouts, etc. and trying various ways to have the new fields import, but could not get it to work - I could document that the information for the new fields was moved to a particular table, but could not document why it was not finally moved to the Contacts table at the end of the processing.

I contacted Support and was given general instructions on what to do. Most of the instructions mirrored the steps I had already taken.  I have 2 options available to me now: 1) having Productive Computing do the customization(s) for a fee or 2) talking directly with a developer who will explain to me, how this is done (at a billable rate).  Before I take either of those steps, I was wondering if anyone else has figured out, how to add new fields to the importing process?

Thanks ahead of time!

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
Re: Importing of custom fields
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
Perhaps you could provide a screen shot and/or explain at what step below you are experiencing issues so we may better assist.

Here are the steps to add an import field:
1) Add the field to the Importer table
2) Add the field to the Contacts table (if necessary)
3) Modify the GLOBAL_Import Contacts script so that the new field in the Importer table gets imported into the Contacts table.  The only script step that should need to be modified are the instances of the 'Import Records' script step (specifically the second instance).

douglucas

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
HI Melinda. Hi sfkev.
We have the same problem, Melinda. Note that I've already done your 3 steps below.

Perhaps you could provide a screen shot and/or explain at what step below you are experiencing issues so we may better assist.

Here are the steps to add an import field:
1) Add the field to the Importer table
2) Add the field to the Contacts table (if necessary)
3) Modify the GLOBAL_Import Contacts script so that the new field in the Importer table gets imported into the Contacts table.  The only script step that should need to be modified are the instances of the 'Import Records' script step (specifically the second instance).

douglucas

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »
Here's an attachment showing that our custom fields have been added to the CNTCT database. This is a screen grab of the fields listed in CNTCT database. See my x_iah_* fields added to the list. So the structure is there. But the data didn't make it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:26:31 AM by douglucas »

douglucas

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »
Here's a copy of the Importer script in CORE 2

douglucas

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »
Notice how the importer script has taken into consideration all the x_iah_* custom variables I added, yet only the Importer layout/table has data. The data isn't making it into Contacts. What could I be doing wrong?

sfkev

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »
Thanks for posting the info, douglucas!  I still am having the same problem, just for the record.

douglucas

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:50:07 PM »
So after several go-rounds with the Core2 importer file, I finally gave up and resorted to using the Filemaker *manual* import utility. (Note that Core2 has it disabled by default; so we have to access it by going to Custom Menus, and making the default import utility available despite the fact that Productive Solutions turned it off). Then I opened the Contacts file manually and used the data in "Importer" table to force-feed the data bytes to the Contacts file. Seems to have worked like a charm. I think that's my fix, at least for my situation.

facembani223

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 05:23:51 AM »
Thanks for posting the info, douglucas