Author Topic: Paying a Bill using an ACH (Electronic Debit)  (Read 1926 times)

michaelfrankel

Paying a Bill using an ACH (Electronic Debit)
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
Hi -

I am working with FileMaker 11 and QuickBooks Premiere 2014. I have been asked by my customer for the ability to post payments against a Bill using an ACH (or Electronic Debit). I can see in the OSR that you can make a payment using a Check using BillPaymentCheckAdd or Credit Card using BillPaymentCreditCardAdd, but I see no way to post a payment done via an electronic payment. However I can see that this option is available in the QuickBooks native UI.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, can you perhaps steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
--
Michael Frankel
Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.
Certified FileMaker Developer
Office: 818-706-8877
Office: 818-483-4686
Mobile: 310-291-3419

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Paying a Bill using an ACH (Electronic Debit)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
IPN (Intuit Payment Network) seems to be getting a little traction, but there are still some significant elements that aren't integrated with the Desktop version of QB's API. You cannot, for example, currently control whether or not an Invoice is payable via IPN in an Add or Mod Request, and there's no way to identify the url that identifies that Invoice.

I haven't looked into the Bill Payment side, but I wonder what you'd see in the Response from a BillQueryRq that included LinkedTxns. If you have a Bill that was paid using an ACH, send QB a BillQueryRq for that Bill's TxnID and add the IncludeLinkedTxns element with a value of "true". Use the PCQB_SGetXML ( "Response" ; "" ) function to retrieve the raw xml structure.

If you'll post a redacted version of that Response here, we'll see what it tells us about the payment. It's possible (and I suspect) that it may not be its own BillPayment type, but is in fact posted as one of the existing types.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

michaelfrankel

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
Hi Geoffrey -

The customer has only been using this FileMaker/QuickBooks integrated system for a short time, and do not plan to download transactions from their bank, so there are no ACH bill payments in QuickBooks anyway. Currently, the client is notified by their bank when automatic debit (ACH) transactions are posted to their account.

I could query the transaction after they manually post one, however I still don't know how to post the payment after that.

I'll have them enter one manually and see what I get.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Michael Frankel

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
I don't have a sample file set up for Automatic Bill Payments, but I'm suspicious that a Bill paid through an ACH using credit/debit card will show up as a related BillPaymentCreditCard Txn, and one paid through a bank transfer as a BillPaymentCheck Txn.

I hope you'll share the Query's Result here.

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

michaelfrankel

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Hi Geoffrey -

So I tried to enter an ACH in QuickBooks, however I ran into a problem - ACH is not an option for paying a Bill. I can only select Check or Credit Card.

For reference, I'm using QuickBooks 2014 Premiere, with "Professional Services" selected as the type of business. Do you know why I don't see ACH as a payment method for a Bill?

Do you have any idea why? Do I need to change some setting to enable this?
--
Michael Frankel

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
Never having used ACH, I never questioned your original report that it is an option when paying a Bill in the QB UI. Now that you've confirmed that it is not, I think maybe we're closing in on the right process.

When they get notice from their bank, to which of their accounts is the transaction tied? If that account is one that QB knows about, then use the BillPaymentCheck Request and pass the ACH number (if you know it) as the BankAccountRef::RefNumber value.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852