Author Topic: Default fields for Address Book  (Read 1926 times)

ajoyce

Default fields for Address Book
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
Does anyone know what the default field is for (for example) the email. I have many of my contacts with two or more email addresses. However, when I send an email, quite often I get the wrong address attached. I've looked at my "distribution list" window in AB and I know that I can select the address I want for that specific group. However, I have many contacts that are part of many groups and while the bulk of the groups may be the same address, there are a few where the address is different. I've spoken with tech support at Apple and they couldn't tell me how AB chooses what email to be first. I've tried several things and I thought I'd figured it out that the email addresses were listed alphabetically by the label name. But that doesn't work either. I modified my plugin script to put the address I want to be listed first as being processed first into AB (using PUSH). My label for the first address I wanted was "personal" and the label for the second address I wanted was "family" but when I pushed my contacts to AB, "family" invariably was listed first in AB and then "personal" came second (even though the script was written otherwise).
Anyone have any thoughts on this? When there's only one email (for example) per contact, there's no problem. But to have to go through AB distribution lists and review and make changes on every single group and every single record . . . is really a bummer!

Thanks.

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
Re: Default fields for Address Book
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »
It appears that Apple has not yet provided a way to choose what email to be listed first, which s probably why the Apple tech was unable to provide an answer for this. Alternatively you can select the email to be used in the distribution list manually. This Mac tip is outlined here: http://mac.elated.com/2009/03/11/mac-address-book-tips-5-more-handy-hints/ under the "Choosing which email address to use in a group" tip. I know this is not exactly what you are looking for, but it may be a work around in the meantime.