Author Topic: Hit a snag with my first Integration  (Read 1462 times)

scottj

Hit a snag with my first Integration
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
I had done a "prototype" integration on a Quickbooks sample file which went fine.  When I started on an integration with a customers file I hit a snag because of the setup of their file.  Their customer are actually groups.  Board Members, Staff, Volunteers etc.  The customers are actually under QB jobs. 

Name                Job
Donor               Scott

I tried to work around it but it seemed like a real mess. For example, my customer look up screen in FM was of course coming up blank.  I would need a job look up screen to find the customer.

Does anyone see a reasonable fix or should I have the fix their QB file so the customer are customers.

Kind of a bummer for my first integration but I suppose there are often issues that come up.

Thanks
Scott

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Hit a snag with my first Integration
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
Hard to say what the best course of action might be without more detail. That said, most clients are reluctant to significantly modify the structure of their QuickBooks (QB) file.

If a "Customer" in this system is really a Group, does that mean that donations come from people or companies that are "Jobs" assigned to that Customer? How does their system deal with people joining and leaving the various Groups? (Donor becomes a Volunteer, a Volunteer joins the Staff, a Staff member resigns but continues to donate as a Donor, etc?)

The current structure could make your job harder than it needs to be.

How is QB structured as far as Customer:Job hierarchy? Is it only one layer deeper than Customer, or are there additional tiers? How does your Customer Lookup screen work--is it running a Query Request, or is it using data pulled from QB to populate a FileMaker table?

And finally, what defines a "reasonable fix" for the problem you're trying to describe?

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

scottj

Re: Hit a snag with my first Integration
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
Geoffrey,

If a "Customer" in this system is really a Group, does that mean that donations come from people or companies that are "Jobs" assigned to that Customer? Yes, your are exactly right.[/i]

How does their system deal with people joining and leaving the various Groups? (Donor becomes a Volunteer, a Volunteer joins the Staff, a Staff member resigns but continues to donate as a Donor, etc?)  I don't think they have a provision for that.  Perhaps just the best fit when set up

It turns out that the CPA that setup up their QB is willing to convert it back to a standard setup.  He had made the changes to facilitate reporting which is getting replace by FM anyway.

I think that will be the best solution.  I have learned a big lesson which is the look at the customers QB file before committing to the project!

Thanks for your help