Author Topic: Ignoring line items and just posting a balance/journal entry  (Read 2317 times)

johnlewisdesign

Ignoring line items and just posting a balance/journal entry
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:14 AM »
Hi guys I have a customer that wishes to post JUST the amount of an invoice and leave the inventory management to our software. He has turned off inventory tracking in QuickBooks. Can we just post an amount? I notice in the SDK it appears you can only have an amount on InvoiceAddLine - is this correct or am I missing something?

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Ignoring line items and just posting a balance/journal entry
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:04:05 AM »
That's correct, but there's nothing that prevents you from using an InvoiceLineAdd with an ItemRef that identifies a Non-Inventory Item and assigning the full Invoice value to that one line.

If your customer doesn't care about running aging reports, adding a Journal Entry (as noted in your Subject) will also work, and simplifies things because you can adjust your Inventory and Cost of Goods Sold accounts in the same Request.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »
Aha yes a Journal Entry is his ideal scenario. Our system is set up to sync inventory, BOM contents and therefore sends the lot to QB - what I want to do is (with a new company file which had inv tracking off) modify the process to send this journal entry.

Do you have an example journal entry at your disposal Geoffrey?

Thanks in advance  :)

John

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
No example that would be useful outside the "black box" template I created to simplify the integration of FMP and QB for my clients. If you haven't looked at it already, Intuit's On Screen Reference...

http://developer.intuit.com/qbsdk-current/Common/newOSR/index.html

...lays out the bones of the process.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:49:44 AM »
Great thanks Geoffrey, I see it. Just.

(I just love it when a site's been fully tested cross-browser for consistency and usability before deployment...) ::)

What do the grey parts mean such as BEGIN OR? Is this to do with beginning or continuing to build a request? Sorry for noobishness I'm learning slowly but surely :)

Thanks in advance,

John

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
"BEGIN OR" identifies places where there are multiple maps for passing data in the Request. When you reach the point of adding LineItems to an Invoice, there is a map for adding an InvoicLine and another for Adding an InvoiceLineGroup. (The latter invokes a macro that adds additional LineItems that identify each Item that's a member of the GroupItem, and inserts the appropriate Qty.) You can, of course, send a combination of LineItems to the same Invoice using the appropriate map for each LineItem.

Another example: InvoiceLine will accept [ Rate ; RatePercent ; PriceLevel ] in a Request. The latter is a node with two elements. Note that the node is not identified by BEGIN OR, which means you can pass both values in your Request. (If you do so, ListID trumps and FullName is ignored.)

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
Excellent yes I am getting somewhere now.

Do they have to appear in the order of the OSR? Also, Memo is giving me some grief. I can't seem to get this to work (yet). Am I right in assuming TxnLineID has trumped it, and I would in fact need to use *just* memo?

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
The sequence must match that of the OSR. Not sure what you're asking about on Memo--TxnLineID only shows up in a Mod Request or a Response--but it should come ahead of the InvoiceLineAdd / InvoiceLineMod nodes in any Request.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852