Author Topic: Multiple sessions - QuickBooks Server?  (Read 2055 times)

johnlewisdesign

Multiple sessions - QuickBooks Server?
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
Hi do we need QuickBooks Server to access multiple FM Books Connector sessions on a network to the same company file? Or will multi user mode suffice?

We keep getting -1000 unable to begin session messages when more than one of us try.

Thanks,

John

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: Multiple sessions - QuickBooks Server?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
There could be several factors interfering. When you BeginSession, what parameter(s) do you pass? Is the QB file already open? Did you configure the computer on which the QB file resides to host it using (IIRC) Intuit's Database Manager?

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:57 AM »
Turns out the path had been moved since initial setup and the database manager hadn't been updated. It was working locally, but not on the network. We didn't do the installation btw!

Unfortunately, now the client has got himself into the mindset that it doesn't always work because he keeps losing his rag when it doesn't connect. Looks like I have my work cut out here...works every time for me!

Just for the record - are there any known issues with using FM Books with Terminal Server (Win Server 2012) and QuickBooks Enterprise (13)? Is there a minimum requirement for each user in terms of permissions in QuickBooks?

I'll start answering questions soon instead of asking Geoffrey, promise!

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »
I'm not aware of any specific issues, but I stopped using path-based connections long before Productive Computing introduced the FMBooks Connector plug-in. I require my clients to open the QB file first, then check to make sure they've opened the correct QB Company file as part of the connection script. Haven't had a failure since that traced to anything other than basic QB/plug-in configuration issues.

HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

johnlewisdesign

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:20:56 AM »
That's not a bad idea at all. Nice.