Author Topic: Core3; Parsing One Field Into Multiple fields.  (Read 1607 times)

stardisplays

Core3; Parsing One Field Into Multiple fields.
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:19 AM »
Parsing One Field Into Multiple fields.  I'm Converting my filemaker data base to Core 3. My filemaker data base had the name in one" full name" field  and Core 3 has it broken into 3 fields.( first name, middle , last name.  Do you have a routine to convert the data into 2 fields and not take a month(60,000 record)

some of our record have a middle name or letters, any suggestion. Most of the data is first and last name( 95%)

I understand I would copy the full name into a temporary full name field. befor doing the data manipulations and will need to probably hand correct the middle name and middle initial field to be correct????

Any thoughts suggestion or where to go in how to handle this challenge?

Richard Padaon

• Global Moderator
Re: Core3; Parsing One Field Into Multiple fields.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
On your current file I would probably break that field up into three calculated text fields within your current contacts table:
  first_name
  middle_name
  last_name

Then I would make those calculations extract the correct part of the "full name" field you currently have. Each calculation should probably look something like this:
  first_name = LeftWords( full name ; 1 )
  middle_name = Case( WordCount( full name ) > 2 ; MiddleWords( full name ; 2 ; 1 ) ) //Checks if the full name contains a middle name
  last_name = RightWords( full name ; 1 )

Once you have those calculated fields set, double check the fields to see if they are calculating the first_name, middle_name, and last_name correctly.
Of course this will not work correctly for people who's first name, middle name or last name consists of more than two words so you'll have to handle those contacts individually.

Now you can use these fields to import into the Core3 instead of using the "full name" field.

Hopefully that works out for you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:36:36 PM by Richard Padaon »

stardisplays

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
I'm getting "1" and "0" for my names, instead of the names themselves

stardisplays

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
I had to take the leading "field name off" and " ="  off and it work. 
Thanks