Author Topic: Display Contact in Outlook - Modal Response?  (Read 716 times)

greenman

Display Contact in Outlook - Modal Response?
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Windows 7
FMPro 11 Advanced
Advanced Demo

I'm creating sync checklist, where I find contacts that are already synced, those that need push, pull or are conflicted. The primary goal is to create a list of conflicts, have filemaker open the contending outlook contact and cut and paste the conflicting info as necessary between outlook and filemaker.

In the contacts pane when you click 'Display in Outlook', the outlook contact window acts like a modal dialog box. I can do nothing in Filemaker until I've closed the Outlook Contact window opened by Filemaker. That makes it seriously hard to cut and paste.

I thought it might be a problem in my database, so I decided to see if it was true in the Advanced demo too. It is.

Perhaps I've made scripting mistake, but I could see nothing that would cause the error, and the identical error exists in the advanced demo. Instead, I have to find the card manually in outlook and copy and paste that way.

It would be really helpful if the plugin allowed me to cut and paste between the outlook contact and its mirror in Filemaker with regards to conflicts.

Chris

• God
Re: Display Contact in Outlook - Modal Response?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »
Hi Greenman,

We have tried to keep the dialog from being modal in early versions of OL (Pre 2010) however the function we are using does not respond to the modality flag sent in the request.  Sorry, but there is nothing we can do to change this.

I suggest not using a cut and paste method.  Instead use the PCEM_GetFieldData and PCEM_SetFieldData functions.

Chris