Author Topic: FMBooks FileMaker Server  (Read 8569 times)

typeleven

FMBooks FileMaker Server
« on: September 23, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
I want to run FMBooks on my filemaker server. how would I interact with the plugin differently than if it were directly installed in my filmmaker pro client?

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
Re: FMBooks FileMaker Server
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:35 AM »
The FM Books Connector is not a server side plug-in and will not run on FileMaker Server. A requirement of the plug-in is that you have FileMaker Pro client and QuickBooks client installed on the same machine using the plug-in. Could you please explain how exactly were you planning on installing the plug-in on FileMaker Server?

boxofoilyrags

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
I have a potential client who will require custom web publish AND connectivity with QuickBooks. Is the plug-in then installed on the machine that is running QuickBooks and a FileMaker client? This works when the FileMaker file is opened remotely from a Server?

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »
The plug-in must be installed on the machine running QuickBooks and FileMaker Pro. Your QuickBooks and FileMaker files can be local or hosted just as long as the machine with the plug-in can access the QBs and FM files remotely. For example, in FileMaker by selecting File > Open Remote.

boxofoilyrags

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
The plug-in must be installed on the machine running QuickBooks and FileMaker Pro. Your QuickBooks and FileMaker files can be local or hosted just as long as the machine with the plug-in can access the QBs and FM files remotely. For example, in FileMaker by selecting File > Open Remote.

Ok. So. In an environment with, say, five users connecting to a FileMaker Server hosted file, I would have QuickBooks and the file running on the same machine with FileMaker Server. Correct? Each of the FileMaker Pro clients must have the plugin installed, with their own license.

FMBooks Connector, then, is NOT installed as a plugin in FileMaker Server? Is Auto Update supported?

Thanks, again.

Marc Larochelle

• God
    • Productive Computing, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
Correct, FMBooks Connector is not a “server side plugin” nor do we support this scenario at this time.  In order to transfer data between FileMaker and  and QuickBooks (in any scenario), three components are always required: FileMaker Pro, FMBooks Connector, and the QuickBooks Program.

Auto Update IS supported. Auto update (for those who might be wondering) is the idea that a plug-in can be installed in a certain place on FileMaker Server and then automatically installed on user machines via a FileMaker script.  The concept behind this great feature is the idea that the plug-in can be packaged on FileMaker server once yet distributed to numerous FileMaker clients automatically when that FileMaker client needs it. Auto Update is also handy to update a user’s plug-in to the latest version all without having to close and open FileMaker client.  I recommend that if you are installing plug-ins to more than one user, go ahead incorporate auto update - it will make life much easier.  To find out more about auto update please visit: http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fms10_autoupdate_en.pdf

Will

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Suppose a company has five employees. They all use QBooks at times but never are more than three of them use FMP and QBooks at the same time.

In that case it is my understanding that they could install FMP and QBooks on all five computers though only three could operate at the same time.

Can they then purchase three licenses of FMConnector or do they have to purchase 5?

Thanks,
Will

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
All of our plug-ins are actually licensed per machines. The plug-ins are not licensed based off of simultaneous use on each machine. If you would like to use the plug-in on five different machines, then you will actually need five licenses.

If you are in a Terminal Services environment, then the plug-in licensed is per TS user rather than per machine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:18:31 PM by Melinda DePalma »

boxofoilyrags

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »
Ok. So, just to be totally clear, because I'm spec'ing a solution to client this week. Three users will be accessing a locally hosted FM file (hosted by FileMaker Pro, NOT Server) in the office, one will be accessing the hosted FM file on the road, using a laptop.

This is an all Mac environment. I already know that the hosting machine will be running Windows, hosting the FileMaker file and the QuickBooks file enabled for multi-user, and the FMBooks connector.

The users in accessing on the LAN will then, what: have to run some virtualization software with both QB and FM running in Windows, and have the plug in? They're just switching to Macs, and I'd hate to have to tell them that they're going to have run FileMaker in VMWare Fusion.

What about that user on the road? I'm no expert with QuickBooks, but would he have a local copy of QuickBooks remotely accessing a multi-user enabled QB file over the Internet? Like hose in the office, he'd have to run QB and FM using Windows virtualization software, and have his own FM Books plug-in?

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
Any machine using the plug-in functions must have FileMaker, QuickBooks and the plug-in installed and licensed. This includes all virtual machines as well. If your client has a Mac and wants to use the plug-in (which is currently a Windows only plug-in) on their Mac, then they will need to set up a virtual Windows machine (using VMWare, Parellels etc.) and install FileMaker, QuickBooks and the plug-in on the Windows side.

Regarding the best QuickBooks setup, you may want to contact QuickBooks for the best access practices. Here are a few links to some QuickBook resources.
Community Forum = http://community.intuit.com/quickbooks/home
Developer Forum = https://idnforums.intuit.com/

Hope that helps clarify and good luck.

boxofoilyrags

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:59 PM »
Any machine using the plug-in functions must have FileMaker, QuickBooks and the plug-in installed and licensed. This includes all virtual machines as well. If your client has a Mac and wants to use the plug-in (which is currently a Windows only plug-in) on their Mac, then they will need to set up a virtual Windows machine (using VMWare, Parellels etc.) and install FileMaker, QuickBooks and the plug-in on the Windows side.

Yup, that most certainly does clarify. Thank you. I had been considering using a plug-in to activate script on another machine running Windows; however, that frankly is beginning to sound pretty inelegant. I think using VMWare in "Unity Mode" will provide a pretty seamless Mac environment.