Author Topic: Linking to QB File  (Read 7347 times)

kbata

Linking to QB File
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »
I'm using QB Pro Edition 2009 with FM Books Connector  v 2.0.0.2 and FMP Advanced v 9.0.3
I would like to be able to connect to a QB file using the files path without needing to open Quickbooks.  I set up my first connection to a test file and set it up to allow FM books connecter to connect.  All preferences in the dialog box are checked including Allow this application to log in automatically.
I can only successfully connect if I open the company file with QB before trying to access it with Filemaker.  Once I have connected I can close QB and still have access to it using the files path.  I can't connect to the file from Filemaker without first opening the company file with QB.  I can't connect to a different QB file without quitting FM, switching to the new company with QB and then reopen FM.
Is it posable to connect to the company file without needing to open it first with QB?
When working with a different QB company file do you need to quit FM first before attempting to connect?

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
Re: Linking to QB File
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
Is it possible to connect to the company file without needing to open it first with QB?
Yes, it is possible to connect to the QB company file without needing to manually open the QB file by specifying the full path to the desired QuickBooks company file in the CompanyFile parameter in the PCQB_BeginSession function. Please ensure that you have properly mapped a drive letter to the QBs file location if the location is not on the local machine. For example: PCQB_BeginSession( "Z:\QuickBooks Share\ABC Company.QBW" ; "" ; "" ). When specifying the QBs file path in the PCQB_BeginSession function, the QBs process will actually open behind the scenes.

Please also be mindful of the following:
1) If QuickBooks is already launched with an open company file and the CompanyFile parameter is empty, then the FM Books Connector will attach to the currently open company file.
2) If no QB file is open and a QB file is not properly specified, an error will occur.
3) If the company file opened is different than the specified file path, then an error will occur.
4) You can obtain the name of the currently open company file by calling the PCQB_GetCurrentFileName function.

When working with a different QB company file do you need to quit FM first before attempting to connect?
If you have properly closed the session, then you should not need to quit FileMaker. Anytime you BeginSession with a QBs file, you should always end the session once finished using the PCQB_EndSession function. This function ends the current session with the QuickBooks file. After the session is ended file access is returned to the default for the file.

Please check the QBs file path for accuracy, ensure that a drive letter has been properly mapped to the machine if the QBs file is not local and ensure that you are always calling EndSession when finished.

kbata

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
I still can't connect by using just the path.  The file is being stored on a remote server.  First I log in to the remote server to get the drive to show up.  Then using your demo file a navigate to the file to get the path entered.  I have been using QB 2009 in demo mode.  At this point my time period for the demo version of QB has expired.  Does the plugin automatically open QB to get access to the file?  If so the process may be getting interrupted.  Today I got a dialog box from QB saying my Qb needs to be registered.  Does this plugin require that QB be installed on the same computer that is running Filemaker?

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
When you call the BeginSession function and specify the FilePath, then this function does open the QuickBooks process in the background. Yes the plug-in does require that QuickBooks AND FileMaker Pro be installed on the machine using the plug-in. Is QuickBooks installed on the machine that is running FileMaker and the plug-in?

If you would like additional time with the plug-in demo, please contact me via email support@productivecomputing.com or phone (760) 510-1200 xt. 115 so I may get your computer name and extend your demo.

kbata

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
Thanks,
We already paid for the plugin.  I am still getting inconsistent behavior with this plugin. On my test computer I was able to get invoices and customers working.  Now that I moved the install to another computer I can't get it to work consistently.
On that install I have version 2.0.0.4 of the plugin.  Windows XP, FM 8 Advanced.  QB 2009 with the latest updates.  I installed everything in you demo package.  I have the best luck if I open the Quickbooks file with Quickbooks first.  Then open Filemaker.  Using the path does not work.

What I was hoping to be able to do was to be able to have Filemaker add invoices to one clients QB file.  Then add invoices from a different client to another QB  file using the file path function.  From what I see so far it seems like the only way to do this is to quit Filemaker and then open the other clients file, then reopen Filemaker.
Is the plugin supposed to have this capability?  Are there only certain versions of Filemaker or Quickbooks that can utilize all the plug in functions?

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Thanks for emailing me the exact error code of error 80040430. I am posting this response to assist others who run into this issue.

Error 80040430 means that the FM Books Connector was "unable to log into this QuickBooks company data file automatically. The QuickBooks administrator must grant permission for automatic login through the Integrated Application preferences.  If such permission was already granted, then the administrator must revoke permission, save preferences, then grant the permission again."

This error is seen when trying to switch between companies if the ability to login automatically was not granted in the QuickBooks > Preferences > Integrated Applications area when you performed the initial QuickBooks Company tests.

Please do the following on EACH QuickBooks company files:
1) Quit FileMaker and QuickBooks completely.
(To ensure that both programs have indeed been terminated, please open your "Windows Task Manager," select the "Processes" tab and select "Image Name" to alphabetize the image names. Confirm that you do NOT see the "FileMaker Pro.exe" AND "QBW32.EXE" image names listed and that these processes have been terminated.)

2) Open the FileMaker Demo file and open your QuickBooks file in single user mode as the admin.

3) In QuickBooks navigate to Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications > Company Preferences and delete any and all listings of the FM Books Connector.

4) In the FileMaker demo file on the Setup tab, select the Test button in Step 2.

5) You should receive a pop up in QuickBooks. Select the fourth radio button to always allow access even when Quickbooks is closed, select the admin from the drop down list if available and check the box in the lower left hand corner. Follow all prompts to allow and continue. Afterwards you should receive a 0 for success in result window in the FileMaker demo file. Navigate to the Pull tab in the FileMaker demo file to see if you can now pull in your company names.

After you have done this for both QuickBooks company files, then try to switch between the files and let me know if you still receive this error.

mvoogt

• All Valley Hose & Industrial Supply
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
I can confirm that I had the same problem as kbata connecting to QB while it was closed however following Melinda's 5 steps and redoing the integrated applications preference I am able to connect no problem.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:57:56 AM by mvoogt »