Author Topic: After a few hundred messages. . .  (Read 5135 times)

twonders

After a few hundred messages. . .
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »
Things seem to slow to a crawl and pretty much end up in a "not responding" state.

- Win XP SP3
- Filemaker 9
- latest OSM plugin
- Outlook 2003

Set a pause/resume 120 seconds in between blocks of 100 outgoing messages.  Send and receive every 1 minute.  Still hasn't done the trick.

It seems like after a few hundred messages are out the door, Outlook gets real slow.

Can provide more info if needed.

Melinda DePalma

• Productive Computing
Re: After a few hundred messages. . .
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
It would be best to first see if the issue is with the plug-in, Outlook or your mail server. We can perform a simple plug-in test by turning off the "automatic send/receive" option in Outlook. This way the hundreds of emails will be cued up in Outlook in the "Outgoing" folder. If all emails get cued up in Outlook, then you know the issue is not the plug-in. 

The "automatic send/receive" settings in Outlook can be found under Tools > Options > Email Setup > and Send/Receive. Please uncheck the “Send immediately when connected” and uncheck the "Schedule an automatic send/receive every x minutes" options as shown in the screen shot.

If the plug-in is not the culprit, then my next question would be what type of account you have set up in Outlook (POP, IMAP or Exchange) and who is your ISP Internet Service Provider as there are a few influencing factors?

Please let me know.

twonders

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
Thanks, Melinda.

I'm working on this, and trying a few other things.  I will report my test results soon.

twonders

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:40 PM »
Did my first mailing in a while.

Queued up 1,417 messages.  It took A WHILE.

I really think the limitations are with Outlook 2003.  I'm going to get a license for Outlook 2007 and see if speed improves.

Chris

• God
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Note that disk space and Outlook's pst size play a part is performance also.

Does you script create/delete FileMaker records (these are the most time consuming operations a script can perform on FileMaker )?  If so you can perform a simple test...in your scripts create all the records first (timing how long it takes ) then loop over all the new records and send the message for each one (again timing how long it takes ).

Chris

twonders

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
Chris,

Records are imported (notably thousands) and then the looping to queue begins.  PST file was small when I did my first mailing.

Also, FYI. . .I've yet to try with Outlook 2007.

Todd