Please find the answers to your questions below.
1) Are these custom fields properties of the Address Book or are they properties of the contact?
- These are actual custom fields in Address Book that can contain values for each Address Book contact.
2) That is, if you delete all your contacts, is the "custom field" gone as well, or is AB somehow still storing that information?
- The custom field will still exist in Address Book, but the value for the custom field will be removed when a contact is deleted (as with any other value for a deleted contact record in Address Book).
3) Also, what happens if you use the PCAB_AddCustomField option more than once? For instance, if I've got a script to add a unique Filemaker ID (FMID) when I push contacts (I'm not deleting my contacts every time as is done in the demo), what happens if I run that script a second time? Will each contact end up with TWO FMID custom fields?
- The custom field must have a unique name. For example, if you attempt to create two custom fields called "FMID1" and "FMID2," then you will have two different custom fields in Address Book called "FMID1" and "FMID2." If you attempt to create a custom field called "FMID" twice, then you will have ONE custom field in Address Book called "FMID."
Yes, we are also daunted by the fact that Apple does not give us the option to delete these custom fields and also the user cannot see them in Address Book. The only way to see the values of the custom fields is to pull them into FileMaker.
Please note that a custom field is different than a custom label in Address Book. For example, a custom label is the phone field that has a custom label of "vacation phone" whereas a custom field is an actual new field (that does NOT appear on the user interface in Address Book) called "FMID" or whatever you named the custom field upon creation.
We are hoping for more flexibility with custom fields in Address Book in the future! Fingers crossed ...