Author Topic: FMBooks on Windows robot in all-mac environment  (Read 2607 times)

spastaman

FMBooks on Windows robot in all-mac environment
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
Trying to push Invoices from FMP into QB. Would it be possible in an all-mac workgroup, accessing FMServer 11 over local network, to add a PC Machine loaded with Quickbooks, FMP Client, and FMBook plug-in....then run a script from mac client to export/import records into the Windows Machine (with a Filemaker File set up/open for this purpose) which then itself triggers a script to push data new Invoice into QB? Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
Re: FMBooks on Windows robot in all-mac environment
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
I don't know of any technical barriers to setting up a Windows OS "robot" computer for this, but I also don't know of anyone who has done it.

It's exceedingly rare that FileMaker and QuickBooks need to be in synch with each other at all times. It's much more common to post Invoices to QB in a batch process. Your bookkeeper could then trigger the posting process ahead of schedule in cases where a QB Invoice was needed immediately.

There are situations where business logic and/or accounting rules make interfacing with QB via a separate file desirable, but it isn't--strictly speaking--necessary. And even if this is a situation where a separate file is called for, the solution you've proposed can probably be streamlined to a significant degree.

I hope you'll post here if decide to tackle this via a robot machine--I'd like to know whether you encountered any hurdles and, if so, how you overcame them.

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

spastaman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42:38 PM »
Geoffrey,

"And even if this is a situation where a separate file is called for, the solution you've proposed can probably be streamlined to a significant degree."

Thanks for your reply. How else would you propose tackling/streamlining this situation, other than the "robot machine" method I am pursuing?

Thanks in advance!

Geoffrey Gerhard

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:02:17 AM »
The easiest is to build the FMBooks Connector processes into your solution and trap for the platform and/or the Account Name entered by the user. The posting scripts would only run when an authorized user is running your solution on a Windows OS machine. This eliminates the need to export data from your main FMP solution and import it into a separate "FMP Integrator" file.

If you need a separate file for whatever reason, you can use external file references that point to the source tables for the values you're passing to QB.

Both of these would, I imagine, be "robot machine" compatible. HTH!

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

spastaman

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:19:22 AM »
Geoffrey,

Thanks for your response ( that I missed ), but I ended up doing the "point at Solution" using TO's referencing external data method (no importing...except for all the Lists from QB needed to support Pushing).

Cheers!